What your personal information is:
Personal information is information that identifies you or could identify you. There are some obvious examples of personal information, such as your name or address. Personal information can also include medical records, bank account details, and even information about what you like, your opinions and where you work - basically, any information where you are reasonably identifiable. It would include the opinions of others about your work performance (whether true or not), your work experience and qualifications, aptitude and psychological test results, and other information obtained by us in connection with your possible work placements. Personal information includes sensitive information.
The Privacy Act definition of personal information is:
"... information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.”
What sensitive information is:
There are certain types of personal information that are especially important to your privacy, such as your health or medical information, union memberships, and criminal record, etc. This information is classed as 'sensitive information' under the Privacy Act. Avant Personnel manages your sensitive information with particular care and in most cases, it can only be disclosed with your prior consent. A full definition of sensitive information can be found in Part II – Interpretation of the Privacy Act 1988.
Who will be collecting your personal and sensitive information:
Your personal and sensitive information will be collected by Avant for its own use and on behalf of other professional associates of Avant Pty Ltd who might require access to your personal and sensitive information in connection with your work placements (this would only be undertaken with your permission – eg should you wish to relocate interstate).
How to contact us:
If you wish to contact us about your personal or sensitive information you should contact
Telephone: (08) 8941 2299 Fax: (08) 8941 2700
If you are dissatisfied with our response you may lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) www.oaic.gov.au
How your information will be collected:
Personal and sensitive information will be collected from you directly when you fill out and submit one of our registration forms or provide any other information in connection with your application, during discussions, or at an interview.
Personal and sensitive information will also be collected when:
- we receive any reference about you;
- we receive results of inquiries that we might make of your former employers, work colleagues, professional associations or registration body;
- we receive the results of any competency or medical test;
- we receive performance feedback (whether positive or negative);
- we receive any complaint from or about you in the workplace;
- we receive any information about a workplace accident in which you are involved;
- we receive any information about any insurance investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry in which you are involved;
- you provide us with any additional information about you.
Your information will be used:
Your personal and sensitive information may be used in connection with:
- your actual or possible work placement;
- your performance appraisals;
- our assessment of your ongoing performance and prospects;
- any test or assessment (including medical tests and assessments) that you might be required to undergo;
- our identification of your training needs;
- any workplace rehabilitation;
- our management of any complaint, investigation or inquiry in which you are involved;
- any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information.
Your personal and sensitive information may be disclosed to:
- potential and actual employers and clients of Avant Pty Ltd;
- our insurers;
- a professional association or registration body that has a proper interest in the disclosure of your personal and sensitive information;
- a Workers Compensation body;
- our contractors and suppliers – e.g. our I.T. contractors and database designers;
- your nominated superannuation fund;
- any person or government department with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information.
If you do not give us the information we seek:
- we may be limited in our ability to locate suitable work for you; and
- we may be limited in our ability to place you in employment.
Avant Personnel may confirm your employment history, job title, duties and period of employment with past and present employers as represented on your resume. Please indicate to your Consultant if you wish to be present when this check is conducted.
You can gain access to your information and correct it if it is wrong
Subject to some exceptions which are set out in the National Privacy Principles (Principle 6 – Access and Correction), you have a right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information about you that we hold.
If you advise the personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may make a written statement to that effect and ask us to place with that information.
If you wish to exercise your rights of access and correction you should contact our PRIVACY CO-ORDINATOR.
In some cases we may impose a moderate charge for providing access to personal or sensitive information, however we will not charge you simply because you lodge a request for access.